If you buy through shared ownership:
- Your monthly mortgage and rent can work out cheaper than buying outright. Sometimes the costs of shared ownership are the same or cheaper than renting. It is a good idea to work out your own calculations and comparisons, depending on where you wish to live. An independent mortgage advisor (IMA) can help you work through these calculations.
- You can buy a larger share in the property at a later date, or sell if you want to. We will help you do this when you are ready to.
- You buy as much of the property as you can afford.
- As a charitable housing association, Moat supports the development of mixed tenure communities and is proud to provide homes for affordable rent and shared ownership across the South East of England. We are here to guide you through the process and to help you find a suitable and affordable home.
To be eligible for shared ownership:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- Your annual household income must be less than £80,000 (for London boroughs this is decreased to £71,000 for a one to two bedroom home and increased to £85,000 for a 3+ bedroom home).
- You must be a first time buyer, ie. you do not already own a home. If you do, please discuss your situation with us.
- You cannot afford to buy a home suitable for your needs on the open market.