Shared ownership is a government backed initiative that helps people, often first time buyers, to get onto the property ladder.
Otherwise known as part buy part rent, shared ownership is one of the most affordable home ownership options. Other options are available and these are outlined at www.HelptoBuy.org.uk.
Shared ownership offers the chance to purchase a share of a property, while paying a subsidised rent on the remainder.
If you buy through shared ownership:
• Your monthly mortgage and rent can work out cheaper than buying outright. Sometimes the costs of shared ownership are the same or cheaper than renting. It is a good idea to work out your own calculations and comparisons, depending on where you wish to live. An independent mortgage advisor (IMA) can help you work through these calculations.
• You can buy a larger share in the property at a later date, or sell if you want to. We will help you do this when you are ready to.
• You buy as much of the property as you can afford.
As a charitable housing association, Moat supports the development of mixed tenure communities and is proud to provide homes for affordable rent and shared ownership across the South East of England. We are here to guide you through the process and to help you find a suitable and affordable home.
To be eligible for shared ownership:
• You must be at least 18 years old.
• You cannot afford to buy a home suitable for your needs on the open market.
• Your annual household income must be less than £80,000 (for London boroughs this is £90,000).
• You must be a first time buyer or existing shared owner. If you already own a home, you need to move but you cannot afford to, then please discuss your situation with us. There are some circumstances under which you could be eligible.